The year 2019 will witness a Men’s ODI World Cup, Ashes battles, and plenty more pulsating cricket besides. But 2018 wasn’t too bad either was it?
There were many sets of answers submitted to our big fat cricket quiz of the year, with a tough battle to get into the top three! Many congratulations to the following:
1. “When I started playing cricket I thought it was to unite countries, players of different backgrounds coming together to play this beautiful sport. Unfortunately, you’ll see that’s not going to happen in next year’s World Cup.”
Who slammed the ICC for restricting the 2019 World Cup to 10 teams at the tournament qualifier in March?
2. “The only time we come unstuck is on slow, snot-heaps like that – so it’s just hugely frustrating if I’m being honest.”
Who was upset by the condition of their home pitch during last summer’s T20 Blast?
3. “[Insert name] is a manipulative, lying, immature, undeserving captain.”
Who is being described by her teammate’s angry manager here?
4. “He’s a Ferrari. With many bowlers – your BMWs or your Audis – you just get in and go but if you have someone who bowls at pace and has had his history of injury you have to treat them very carefully.”
Who’s the sports car in question?
5. “I can hit bigger sixes than Kohli so why do I need to follow his diet?”
Which heavy hitter said this?
6. “I was in Ikea with my girlfriend and we were actually arguing over a sofa so the call couldn’t have come at a better time.”
Who was shopping for furniture when he received a call from the national selector?
7. “So you have these hardworking chefs who have made a great dish. Someone comes and puts a little garnish on top and he gets all the credit. Moeen, Leach, Foakes are those poor chefs and Stokes the one with the garnish.”
Which pundit made a meal of his metaphor?
8. “That wasn’t me!”
Who said this after scoring his maiden ODI fifty, 13 years after making his debut?
9. “Sorry about all the drama we landed you in, but a lot of appreciation.”
Who was grateful for a helping hand?
10. “I have no ego.”
Which administrator was keen to emphasise that it’s not all about him?
11. For five points, what do these five cricketers have in common?
They were all named Player of the Match on Test debut
12. Who became the youngest-ever bowler to top the men’s ODI bowling rankings when he moved to No.1 in February 2018?
13. Which bowler took the season-best figures of 8-51 in the 2018 County Championship?
14. Which two Australians appeared in their fifth Women’s World T20 final in November, lifting the trophy for the fourth time?
Ellyse Perry and Alyssa Healy
15. England’s rampaging ODI batting line-up took things up a notch in June when they put on a record score of 481-6 against Australia at Trent Bridge. Which Australian bowler returned the figures of 0-100 from nine overs?
16. Who bowled the fastest delivery during the 2018 T20 Blast?
17. Jack Leach took 18 wickets during England’s 3-0 victory over Sri Lanka. Who was the last English left-arm spinner to take more in a three-match Test series?
18. How many hat-tricks were taken in the 2018 County Championship?
19. India’s Prithvi Shaw hit a breathtaking maiden Test century off just 99 balls against the West Indies, but who holds the record for the fastest-ever maiden Test hundred, off just 71 deliveries?
Colin de Grandhomme
20. Who hit the fastest half-century in IPL history in April?
21. Which English county had the highest win percentage across all three formats in the 2018 season?
22. Who was dismissed for 20 on his 20th birthday in a Test match?
23. Which spinner took four wickets in six balls before lunch on the first day of a Test?
24. Who became the first batsman, batting second, to outscore his opponents before the end of the second session of a Test match?
25. Which pair of brothers reached their Test centuries while batting together?
Mitchell and Shaun Marsh
26. Which team were bowled out for 61 and 66 in the same County Championship match?
27. Who returned figures of 6-22 and then smashed a 71-ball century from No.10 in the same Championship match?
28. Who was Player of the Match for his innings of 140 not out as Scotland beat England by six runs in an ODI at The Grange?
29. Who struck a world-record 172 in a T20I?