Alex Hales is still intent on representing England, with next year’s T20 World Cup in Australia in his sights.
Hales was removed from England’s World Cup squad last month after it was revealed that he had failed a second test for recreational drug use.
Upon the news of Hales’ axing, Ashley Giles, the ECB’s men’s managing director said: “I want to make it clear this is not the end of Alex’s career as an England player.”
— Wisden (@WisdenCricket) 29 April 2019
At Wednesday’s Caribbean Premier League draft, Hales was drafted as a first-round pick by Barbados Tridents for this year’s tournament after he went unsold in 2018.
Hales is also set to play in the next edition of the Bangladesh Premier League, confirming to reporters that he will feature for Rangpur Riders over the winter.
The 30-year-old is now looking to use his appearances at T20 tournaments around the globe to put him back in England contention.
Speaking at the CPL draft, Hales said: “These tournaments are well respected all around the world by the selectors and the ECB. I’d love to use these tournaments to help get myself back in the frame for next year.
— Wisden (@WisdenCricket) 21 May 2019
“That’s one of my aims, to be at that T20 World Cup. I’m going to go through the process and hopefully score runs in these tournaments.”
While Hales has been dropped from all England squads this summer, he will continue to keep a keen eye on England’s World Cup campaign.
“I’m still a fan and I wish the boys all the best. What we’ve done over the last few years has been unbelievable and the guys deserve to win it and I’ll be sat there and cheering.”
Hales – who top-scored with 147 when England hit a record-breaking ODI score of 481-6 against Australia in 2018 – believes that the tournament hosts are more than capable of getting to the 500-run mark.
“There’s no reason why it can’t be done. We nearly did it against Australia last year and there’s no reason why it can’t be [done]. I think England will do it one day.”