Jasprit Bumrah has been ruled out of the second England-India Test at Lord’s, India’s bowling coach Bharat Arun revealed on Tuesday, August 7.
Bumrah, who suffered a fractured thumb during India’s T20I series in Ireland in June, missed the limited-overs leg of India’s tour of England and also the first Test at Edgbaston. He will now miss the second Test as well.
“Jasprit Bumrah is bowling, fit, but I think it’s too early to put him into a game situation because he needs to come off the band-aid plaster on his hand and for the second Test,” Arun said.
“For the second Test, he is out of contention.”
Bumrah made his Test debut in South Africa earlier this year and impressed immediately, picking up 14 wickets at 25.21 from three Tests. His 5-54 in the last Test, in Johannesburg, helped India win the game after having lost the first two Tests and the series.
Bumrah was named in the squad for the five England Tests and was said to be available from the second Test, but as things stand, India will wait on him to be fit for the last three Tests of the series.
The Lord’s Test begins on Thursday, August 9 and will be followed by the third Test at the Hampshire Bowl from August 18, then at Trent Bridge from August 30, and the final Test at The Oval from September 7.